On December 12, 1668 Governor General Juan Manuel de la Peña Bonifaz (1668-1669) issued a
gubernatorial decree creating Pagsanjan as a town. The first gobernadorcillo elected by the people was Francisco Umale, the
courageous cabeza who had protested against the arbitrary imposition of new taxes on his barrio and defied the Lumban authorities.
Text excerpts from the book "Pagsanjan, In History and Legend", 1975
By Dr. Gregorio F. Zaide
The real history of Pagsanjan began in 1668 when it emerged as a town.
Years before that time, it was a barrio of Lumban. Across three centuries,
it has survived all natural and man-made cataclysms, including the Philippine Revolution
and World War II.
During the long interim of 170 years (1668-1858) Pagsanjan was the capital of Laguna.
Despite the loss of the provincial capitalship, the town is still great
because of the achievements of its many-splendored people.
Great Pagsanjeños, like old soldiers, never die, they only fade away.
Their magnificent contributions to Philippine civilization and progress are
imperishably enshrined in history´s pages.
Best viewed with Mozilla Firefox 1.5 and MS Internet Explorer v5.0 or higher.
"Pagsanjan first loomed in history as a barrio of Lumban, a town founded in 1578 by the famous Fray Juan de la Plasencia, Franciscan
missionary-historian. The other barrios were Longos (now Kalayaan), Paete, Pakil, Cavinti, and Santa Cruz. The first settlers of
Pagsanjan were eight Christian Chinese and Japanese traders named Diego Changco, Alfonso Changco, Mateo Caco, Jose Jegote, Juan Juco,
Diego Suico, Marcos Suico, and Eugenio Vinco. Highly impressed by the strategic location of the barrio at the juncture of two rivers,
they established their trading settlement and engaged in betel-nut industry."